|Title||Amelia Lighthouse Reservation.|
|Scope & Content||
Copy of a supplemental plat of the Amelia Island Lighthouse Reservation, Town 3N Range 29E parts of Section 9 & 12 .
The beach front from Centre Street to Fort Clinch and beyond and southward for several hundred feet from Centre Street, was U.S. Government property, known as the Amelia Lighthouse Reservation. The fact that the U.S. Government held this property for years restricted the development of the beach.
A bill was passed to authorize the City of Fernandina, under certain conditions to dispose of part of the Amelia Lighthouse Reservation by Congress, May 26,1926.
In 1927 the U.S. Government sold at auction practically the whole of the north end of the island.
In 1931 the City of Fernandina was successful in Congress of passing an act permitting the city to purchase from the Government a tract of about 95 acres with about 3,500 feet of ocean frontage. The purchase price $1,000.00.
|Caption||Plat Amelia Lighthouse Resrvation 1926|
|Number of images||9|
Brown, Arthur W.