|Title||Fernandina Beach Restoration Foundation Scrapbook, 1972 - 1976|
|Scope & Content||
This scrapbook is full of newspaper clippings regarding the beginning work of the Restoration Foundation.
Image 1- Tan Plastic Cover
Image 2- Article dated March 2, 1972 titled, "Chamber Slates Public Meeting On Downtown Renewal Program." The Chamber of Commerce sponsered a public meeting about the proposed program. F. Eugene Smith was the speaker. The article outlines his accomplishments in planning and as design consultant for corporations and cities. Pictured are L to R: Roscoe Moore, F. Eugene Smith, Aubrey Williams, Peter Rummel and Andy Allan.
Image 3- Article dated August 29, 1972 titled, "Cooperation Pledged in Restoration Drive." Secretary of State Richard Stone (second from right) promised the cooperation of the state's Division of Archives and History. Pictured are L to R: James Moody, Pensacola Historic Restoration Director; Bob Williams, Division of Archives and History, Tallahassee; Beverly Dozier, Division of Archives and History, Tallahassee, Richard Stone; John Griffin, Director of the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board.
Image 4- Undated article titled, "Fernandina Historic District Placed On National Register." Secretary of State, Richard "Dick" Stone announced that the Fernandina Historic District has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. "The Fernandina Historic District included all or part of thirty blocks in the downtown area, representing a good cross-section of mid-to late nineteenth century architecture.
Image 5- Article dated April 3, 1974, "RESTORATION? We're on Our Way" discussed the process of evaluating buildings prior to restoration. Mr. Hershell Shepard, architect; F. Eugene Smith, Suzanne Hardee, Restoration Committee President; and Aubrey Williams are mentioned.
Image 6- Article dated April 4, 1974 "County Eyes $400,000 Courthouse Addition. New Look for the Old Courthouse?" Criticism of newly unveiled plans for annex.
Image 7- Article dated August 15, 1974, "Bottle Diggers, Get Set... For Big Restoration Dig." A tax deductible donation to the Restoration fund allowed bottle diggers the opportunity to dig between N. 3rd and N 4th behind Atlantic.
Image 8- Article dated August 8, 1974, "Bottle Diggers at Work" shows the success of the bottle dig.
Image 9- Article dated December 12, 1974, "Historical Tourism" Seen as Local Possibility." Thomas G. McCaskey, retired executive of Colonial Williamsburg praised the local restoration group for having completed 15 "notable achievements" in the 14 months of its existence. He said the term "historical tourism" is more appealing than historic restoration because restoration projects are tourist attractions which can greatly benefit the local economy.
Image 10- Article dated December 7, 1975, "Fernandina Holds Historic Home Tour." A home at 804 Atlantic Ave built in 1905 is pictured. The homes were decorated for Christmas by local garden clubs.
Image 11- Articled dated December 11, 1975, "R.S. Schuyler- Remember Architect and Civic Leader" recounts a visit of Mr and Mrs Robert Schuyler Scott of Jacksonville visiting the Tabby House designed by Mr Scott's grandfather R.S. Schuyler. Mr Scott brought with him copy of the Fernandina News dated July 26,1895 which carried the story of his grandfather's death two days before. Biographical information about R.S. Schuyler who was also the architect of St. Peter's Episcopal Church was included.
Image 12- Article dated May 27, 1976, "Autograph Party Set for "Centre Street". "Centre Street" was written by Helen Litrico.
Image 13- Article dated December 2, 1976, "2nd Annual Tour of Homes to Encompass Downtown Area." The Kelly House at 214 S 7th Street is featured. The tour was expanded to a Centre Street Christmas Festival.
|Number of images||13|
McCaskey, Thomas G.
Scott, Robert Schuyler
Smith, F. Eugene
Stone, Richard "Dick"
214 S. Seventh Street
804 Atlantic Ave
Centre Street Christmas Festival
Chamber of Commerce
Division of Archives and History
Fernandina Historic District
Historic H ome Tour
National Register of Historic Places